Wednesday, August 15, 2012

FRIENDS

I used to have friends.  I still have friends but most of them live far away.  I can no longer go out for tea and cookies with them.  I can no longer call them up and go to the movies with them.  Most days I think of them but it doesn't really bother me.  I am very busy and work an awful lot.  But then there are days like today when I really miss them.  Days when I need someone to talk to.  When I have a bad day at work or something good happens.  That is when I want to call a friend and talk to them.  An email doesn't always do it.


So how does a person who works constantly and has a chronic disease make new friends?  I don't really go out and the only people I meet are my clients.  It is hard to have clients as friends (a bit of a conflict.)  How does one find friends?  I used to find friends all the time.  I used to go out and work in a regular job.  I met people all the time.  I was in the public, taking public transportation, meeting people, not locked up in my home office and in my car by myself.  Going out instead of home blogging.  You get what I mean.

I am part of a book club but most of the members are neighbors I already know.  I am not much of a joiner.  You would never see me in a gym (I even made a gym in my garage so I didn't have to go to one!) or in a group.  I am by nature a bit of a loner.  I like solitary activities but I also like doing things with others like going to the movies with a group. 

 I need to reach out to my friends via email and reconnect with them even though they are far away.  Our friendship deserves it.

If you have any ideas, please join the conversation! 

Until tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. I live in Hong Kong - come from Australia - and only lived in Hong Kong for seven months. When I first moved here I felt sooooo lonely. I joined a book group and started to work. This did help, but I didn't really connect with anyone because of the transient community. Instead, I make a committed effort to email the friendships in Australia once a week, and some I even write to by hand. It's lovely - and mostly - they always respond. Shan xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I will try to keep up my email contact with my far away friends!

      Delete

Would love to hear what you have to say!